Saturday, December 11, 2010

Day 15 - Vancouver to Newark... Sad goodbyes

To be honest today was always going to be a hard day and saying goodbye to some pretty amazing special people. I awoke feeling all was not right in the world…  I didn’t like that feeling also my throat was getting sorer and sorer.    
The very first photo from the new camera and the view from the Hotel
So got up and repacked to ensure that the bags weren’t over weight.  Also enjoyed the last few hours or so with Tania.  Because her, Carolyn and Tracey were staying on until Tuesday they were planning their activities and were going to take off to Grouse mountain.  We headed back downstairs into the lifts that took hours so I just walked down.  

Walking to Breakfast - Rickys yummy brekkie 
Then realised I had forgotten the camera and so I had to go back up but the lifts were taking 15-20mins.  So I ran back upstairs…  yes RAN up the stairs.  Because there were a couple of tour groups there checking out at the same time it was bedlam in the lobby. 
Brief Blue skies 
I went down to say goodbye to everyone and meet Pete in the lobby because we were going to have breakfast one last time.  I got my taxi voucher… now here is the deal with this… I just took it because I had a few things in my hands and trying to organise everyone to stay for a group photo for the aussie contingent.  I should have looked at but also Frank should have let us know it was for a particular taxi company only.  GRRRRRRR 
My last view of the beautiful Pete
Finally got Pete out of bed lazy bones…  and we went and had breakfast together. I loved our chat this morning.  I think in a lot of ways solidified our wonderful friendship our very frank discussion and honesty with a realness that I haven’t seen from someone in a long time.  Made me love him even more.. and my pancakes were yummy.
Waiting at Starbucks at Vancouver International Airport 
Then time was my enemy again and stealing time with my wonderful friends away.  In all honesty I was feeling very numb about going to New York which was surprising because I had looked forward to this for so long. But I really didn’t want to leave Vancouver or Canada. I loved the beauty, the amazing old growth fir trees, I loved the remoteness and especially the pure fresh mountain air.  
Taxiing down the run way 
The awe inspiring mountains with the shear rock faces or  towering snow cap trees as they went up the slopes. The overall hugeness of it all and words can’t describe especially at places like Sulphur Mountain, Mt Edith Cavell, seeing the snow on the trees which was just like the photos and postcards. The wowness factor was jaw dropping. I just want to go back and do it all again. 

Just outside of Vancouver 
I feel like my heart has been ripped out and leaving part of it behind along with the people and the country itself which seems stupid after such a short time.  But I really felt like I was at home.    
Just outside of Vancouver 
I just really sad to leave because I just loved it but feeling a bit worn out from the constant travelling and especially the last few days with having to swap rooms, stressing about the camera. But here I am almost ready to fly to NYC. It will be interesting driving in a foregin country … I think it is nervous numbness.  I know what I am facing but still I think my minds way of dealing with things is to shut it out.
Sunset across the country 
So went back to my room checked out and caught a cab (wrong company) but needless to say I was not impressed with having to pay it then the guy got all huffy because I needed to pay by credit card. The sun was shining and it was such a beautiful day to be leaving Vancouver.  Trust it to be like that on the day I leave. I am going to share some of my favourite images from the trip -
North Shore Vancouver 
Got to the checkout and guess what the bag was overweight!!! (Bit like its owner) How did this happen… so had to do a quick off load to the other suitcase.  So did all that and made my way thru to their customs and forgot to put my passport number on the form the guy got grouchy at me. Had to go fill it all and get back in the queue with all the other cattle. 
Vancouver Public Library
The customs guy I got was telling me that his wife was irish and Italian as well.  We were chatting about that although I couldn’t hear half of what he was saying because he had a strong Spanish accent. But he was being nice I think to see if he could trip me up with why I was entering the states.  No luck buddy!!!! 
Purple Capsicums - Swan Lake Okangkan Valley
Left Vancouver on time and to perfect blue skies and I was sitting next to a couple who were from the Vancouver north shore right near Capilano Canyon and travelling to NYC for a wedding then heading up to boston.  They were very nice and great companions for the flight. I have to say I wouldn’t fly air Canada internationally again. The food was crap and expensive and the entertainment system was very limited and the drinks cart didn’t come through often enough.  

Downtown Banff
Landed in Newark around 10pm and didn’t have to clear customs because I had already done it in Van.  It forever for the luggage to come out and everyone was really pushy in getting their bags off.  When mine came off it was so bloody heavy and trying not to hit people with it as I was getting it off.  

Lake Louise
I couldn’t find where I needed to go to catch the shuttle to get to the hotel and a guy took pity on my poor tired look.  He told me I had to go upstairs and catch the train to terminal 4 so I could catch the hotel shuttle bus. But then I got up there it was shut then a lady said I had to go up another level and catch the shuttle bus to catch the shuttle bus.  Are you confused yet?  
Bow Lake
So here I am feeling exhausted and sick with a shocking sore throat and nothing open to even buy a drink a water or atm to get some cash out.  It was so humid as well so it was all the makings of a very grumpy Eileen.  
Peyto Lake 
  
Peyto Lake
Then I finally worked out where I needed to be and no bus…  for like 30 mins and they kept on ringing thru saying it was like 5 mins and some people were getting very annoyed because they had shut off the trains to shuttle the passengers and then there wasn’t enough buses.  It was dumb… 
Pete and Me on the Icefields 
Finally got on the bus but struggled of course getting the bag onto the bus… the driver didn’t help but one of the passengers did.  He was a little creepy though I can’t really put my finger on why I say that but he just was.  Also because I hadn’t been able to find a atm I had no cash to tip but that driver wasn’t worthy of the tip.
Malinge Lake 
When I got to the terminal 4 only about 45 mins after picking up my bags…  the shuttle was about to take off for the hotel so luckily we got it to stop and got loaded up and headed to the hotel.
Mt Edith Cavell
When we finally got to the hotel, the staff literally grunted when I said I wanted to check in.  It was almost midnight but seriously?  I was a paying guest and he was very unhelpful.  
Mt Edith Cavell
Got it in and got unloaded cranked up the air con and filled up my water bottles so I could stop the throat from burning.  
Sun Peaks
Mum and dad rang…  I was actually really relieved to hear from them because I was so tired and needed some parental love.  Had a chat to them spread out on my king size bed which was so comfy.  Then hopped in a shower and got to bed around midnight….  
Sun Peaks

Hat Creek Ranch

Duffy Lake

Autumn Colours at Whistler

Coastal Mtn Range 

Coastal Mtn Range

Ferry Crossing

The Empress Hotel - Victoria 

Parliament - Victoria 

Museum of British Columbia
Canadian Pacific Bear - Museum of BC

Beacon Hill Park

Beacon Hill Park

Butchart Gardens

Butchart Gardens

Butchart Gardens


No comments:

Post a Comment